Thursday, March 7, 2013

The Future is Friendly

Hey friends.

I haven't mentioned this before, but as the time is here for transparency, I must come clean. This blog began as an assignment. No, not some creative outlet or medium for free speech, a graded classroom project.

Not that the idea of creating such a blog hadn't crossed my mind at times, but it took the push of the Western Seminar titled "From Tweet to Blog to Book" to not only inspire, but require the creation of such an online journal.

And boy am I glad I took this class. Not only is it a break from the monotonous day to day college curriculum, but also the chance to create something wonderful.

As well as keeping me up on my online presence, it keeps me honest on my physical creative being as well. It's so easy to say "I'll do it later" or "I'm so busy" rather than just sit down, take time for yourself, and make something you've been wanting to.  Or even better, spend time with someone not just studying across the table from them or next to them in a loud bar, but actually being present with someone and creating something together.

That's the biggest thing I miss as school has created more constraints on the way I spend my time.

And bottom line, it's worth setting aside what needs to be done for a little bit to do something purely because I want to.

So this blog remains. And as I grow and learn how to speak visually online, this blog will grow and become more. I will always have ideas in the back of my mind and now, with the ability to share and this positive accountability, I owe it to this newborn baby to continue. It can be for those creative souls out there looking for ideas, the bored internet browser, my curious mom, and also for myself and the joy it brings me.

So though it began as an assignment, it will continue as a choice, and one I'm extremely excited about.


7 comments:

  1. You're blog is fantastic Bailey! I am so glad you plan to keep up with it. I love that a class assignment was able to help you find a passion. Isn't it wonderful when that happens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm excited too. I'm glad you are saying. Maybe you could share some of the stuff you do for other classes some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you are deciding to stick with the blog! You are so creative, and I have loved reading every post, especially the chocolate covered strawberries and the shoes! Thanks again for sharing all you amazing work and I'm excited to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had hoped you would continue blogging, I know that I always enjoy looking at whatever new creation you've made and your talent in design always reminds me of why I went into the sciences instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray! I'm super duper excited we get to continue to see what you're creating. Now if only there was some way to keep up the occasional food tasting that we've experienced in class... ;)
    Thank you for all of the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have loved your blog. I also appreciated this blog assignment because it really helped me set aside time for something I care about! I'm glad you'll be keeping it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent! At first I thought your blog might be too diverse, but you've amazed me at how consistent your approach and personality have been with a wide variety of projects. I eagerly await each new post, and will remain a loyal reader.

    ReplyDelete